JDBC Network Protocol Driver
Network Protocol Driver in JDBC
The Network Protocol driver uses middle-ware (application server) that converts JDBC calls directly or indirectly into the vendor-specific database protocol. It is fully written in java..
Advantage of Network Protocol driver
- No client side library is required because of application server that can perform many tasks like auditing, load balancing, logging etc.
- This driver is both database and platform independent driver
Disadvantage of Network Protocol driver
- Network support is required on client machine.
- Requires database-specific coding to be done in the middle tier.
- Maintenance of Network Protocol driver becomes costly because it requires database-specific coding to be done in the middle tier.