Cache Memory is a very high speed semiconductor memory which can speed up CPU. It acts as a buffer between the CPU and main memory. It is used to hold those parts of data and program which are most frequently used by CPU. The parts of data and programs are transferred from disk to cache memory by operating system, from where CPU can access them.
Advantages of Cache Memory
The advantages of cache memory are given below;
- Cache memory is faster than main memory.
- It consumes less access time as compared to main memory.
- It stores the program that can be executed within a short period of time.
- It stores data for temporary use.
Disadvantages of Cache Memory
The disadvantages of cache memory are given below;
- Cache memory has limited capacity.
- It is very expensive.