What is Switch
What is Switch
Switches facilitate the sharing of resources by connecting together all the devices, including computers, printers, and servers, in a small business network. Switches are key building blocks for any network. They connect multiple devices, such as computers, wireless access points, printers, and servers; on the same network within a building or campus. A switch enables connected devices to share information and talk to each other.
Important Point About Switch
- Switch work on Data Link Layer of OSI Model
- It is Multicast Device
- It is use to connect devices in the same network
- It sends data in the form of frames
- It works in full duplex
- Multiple devices can send data at the same time
- Switch store MAC Address
A switch, in the context of networking is a high-speed device that receives incoming data packets and redirects them to their destination on a local area network (LAN). A LAN switch operates at the data link layer (Layer 2) or the network layer of the OSI Model and, as such it can support all types of packet protocols.
Uses of Switch
A network switch is a small device that centralizes communications among several connected devices in one local area network(LAN). It have following uses
- Switches allow you to connect dozens of devices.
- Switches keep traffic between two devices from getting in the way of your other de vices on the same network.
- Switches allow you to control who has access to various parts of the network.
- Switches allow you to monitor usage.
- Switches allow communication (within your network) that's even faster than the Internet.
- High-end switches can be tailored to your network needs with pluggable modules.